Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Return of the Prodigal Mom....

Okay, okay so I have been MIA lately! I wish I could tell you that no news is good news but sadly in this case, its not! I wont bother you with the boring details of how Cafe Rio swayed me to the dark side, but instead I will express my resentment...especially to my thighs, and start anew.

This past week has been a great week for me, and although I am no Domestic Goddess, I have to admit that after successfully cooking a authentic Italian dessert earlier this week, I do feel somewhat capable. Yes, Capable is the perfect word.....

Capable: having capacity or ability "Capable of winning" "Capable of hard work" and my favorite....... "capable of walking on two feet"

I am Capable, However I am not perfect.

Today was no exception.

Today I feel that I may have failed as a Mom.....and obviously I am feeling pretty lousy.

You see I have always been a peacemaker...the type that always puts a smile their face and looks the other way. My motto has always been Forgive and Forget...especially because it is near impossible for me to hold any type of grudge. Unfortunately, one of my daughters was not built that way, and the sooner I realize that she is not me, the better.

Today she needed me, and instead of backing her up...what did I do? I tell her that she needs to be the better person, that she is being negative and worst of all that if she didn't get out of that car and go into Activity days that I was going to ground her. Yep! I am sure that you are all shocked by my lack of compassion.

Well, as I drove home, with my sobbing daughter in tow, I realized just how off base I was. I mean, who says its better to always be the one to let it go, the follower, the one to put a smile on their face and look the other way, even if their feelings are being hurt. Looking back.....all that attitude got me...was walked all over.

Today I got a glimpse of what our Heavenly Father must feel for us each and everyday as we go through our trials. No matter what I said, there was nothing I could do to make it all better. There was absolutely no way of making the hurt go away. All I could do, and should have done from the start, was listen to her, hold her, love her, and let her cry.

Today I learned a valuable lesson, I learned that I am not always right.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Rikke! It made me cry.

    You are a wonderful mother and that is a good message for us all to remember -- not to impose our own personalities and coping mechanisms on our children. It is hard to do, and I myself forget to even consider it most times. I hope to be better. Thank you for the inspiration.

    And, for the record, you are FAR more than just capable. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog, I blog about similar stuff. It is evident you are a good mom because you recognized your mistake and are doing something about it. It took my too long to learn that lesson. This is Emily Cummings by the way. http://cummingsesgoings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete